Link popularity is the total number of Websites that link to your site. Good link popularity can dramatically increase your Website traffic. Well-placed links are an excellent source of consistent and targeted traffic. And due to recent developments, they can even generate additional search engine traffic to your site.
Most of the major search engines now factor link popularity into their relevancy algorithms. As a result, increasing the number of quality, relevant sites which link to your site can actually improve your search engine rankings. You cannot get high link popularity by submitting your Website to thousands of FFA (free for all) link pages. Improve link popularity of your website by adding links from important Websites. This have a greater effect on your link popularity and your search engine rankings.
Successful link exchange tips
1) Search engines value links to and from sites that offer quality information on pages that are not overloaded with advertisements and pop-ups. If you link to a high-traffic volume site that is poor on relevant content, it is unlikely you will see an improvement in your search engine ranking.
2) Link to sites that compliment the topic or category of your site, thereby offering the web visitor more information on a relevant topic. This is sure to boost your search engine ranking and pull in more qualified visitors to your site from those that link to you.
3) The more quality links to relevant sites that you have, then the better your search engine ranking and traffic volume will be.
4) A consistent ongoing campaign of link exchanging is vital to your success. Not only should you look to build link volume, but you should also look to constantly review the links you have in place to keep them fresh and up to date.
5) Use keyword phrases in the link text. Links to your site with 'click here', 'please visit our sponsor', 'check this out' or similar phrases can lower your ranking.
6) Do not get links from link exchange sites and link farms. Link farms are networks of heavily cross-linked pages on one or more sites, with the sole intention of improving the link popularity of those pages and sites. All of the major search engines consider such links as Spam, so stay clear of these types of links.
7) Before approving a link exchange partner, consider where your link will be posted on their site. If it's posted on some obscure page that no human could possibly ever find, then you may want to reconsider accepting his or her link.
8) You should not go overboard in the quest of getting more and more links. Quality should not be sacrificed at the cost of quantity.